Do you ever wonder what people might be thinking about your breath? We are constantly in close contact with people, whether for work, a family gathering, weddings, school, or that much anticipated kiss! We have all been there. Have no fear, there are certain foods and drinks that can help make your breath fresh, naturally! Keep reading to learn more from our Troy dentists…
Good oral hygiene is always the first step. According to the American Dental Association, if you don’t keep your mouth clean by regular brushing, flossing, and rinsing, little particles of food can stay in your mouth causing bacteria to grow. If you are not good about keeping up with good oral hygiene, bacteria can build up and lead to painful gum disease, which is also bad for breath. Obviously, regular dental check-ups and cleanings can really give you a jumpstart!
Here are some foods and drinks that can help you have fresher breath:
- Water – Proper hydration moistens the mouth and helps to wash away bacteria and food particles that can lead to bad breath.
- Green Tea – Helps to keep bacteria from sticking on your teeth. It can also help with fighting Gum Disease.
- Apples – Help to remove plaque and food particles from teeth.
- Gum – Stimulate the production of saliva and help to remove particles that get stuck on teeth. Note: Make sure to choose a sugar free gum to help protect against cavities.
- Food High In Vitamin C – Vitamin C can stop odor-causing bacteria from growing and helps neutralize smelly foods like garlic and onions.
- Greek Yogurt – Greek yogurts low in fat, that have live and active cultures, can help eliminate bacteria.
- Whole-Grain Bread – Eating a diet rich in healthy carbs.
- Herbs – Coriander, Cinnamon, Spearmint, Tarragon, Eucalyptus, Rosemary, Parsley, and Cardamom, all have the ability to kills odor causing bacteria. Note: These can be chewed fresh or steeped and if taken after a meal they help with digestion!
Sticking to these tips should help with your overall health, so you won’t have to worry that your breath will knock over your partner right at that special moment! Feel free to call our Troy dentists to learn more about what you can do every day to keep your breath fresh.