Feeling anxious about dental visits is quite common, and nothing to be embarrassed about. People suffer dental anxiety for many different reasons ranging from a bad childhood experience to worries about gagging during treatment.Whatever your concern, the Troy Sedation Dentist has the skill and training needed to provide you with a comfortable, stress-free experience.
For your comfort, we offer nitrous oxide, a sweet-smelling, non-irritating, colorless gas that is administered through a small mask. Nitrous oxide has been the primary means of sedation in dentistry for many years. It is safe, and our equipment is calibrated so that you receive 50–70% oxygen with no less than 30% nitrous oxide.
You will be able to breathe on your own, and will be vaguely aware of the activity around you. In some cases, you may experience a type of temporary mild amnesia or even fall asleep. Many of our patients don’t remember what happened during their appointment with the use of nitrous oxide.
Advantages To Using Nitrous Oxide
- The depth of sedation can be monitored and adjusted by the dentist throughout treatment.
- There is no after effect such as drowsiness.
- Inhalation sedation is safe with no side effects on your heart and lungs, etc.
- Inhalation sedation is very effective in minimizing gagging.
- It works rapidly as it reaches the brain within 20 seconds. In as little as 2–3 minutes its relaxation and pain killing properties develop.
We do not recommend nitrous oxide if you have been diagnosed with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Though there are no other major contraindications to using nitrous oxide, you may not want to use it if you have emphysema, M.S., a cold, or other difficulties with breathing.
Trust Your Care to Experience and Training
Dr. Bentley and our team have helped lots of our patients reclaim healthy, beautiful teeth through relaxing sedation dentistry. Please give the Troy Sedation Dentist if you’re ready to overcome your anxiety and get the care you need.