There are many options in dentistry today for missing teeth replacement. A dental bridge is just one such option, and today we explain the benefits of fixed bridges. A fixed (non-removable) bridge is durable and creates an excellent replacement for missing teeth
You’re probably most familiar with a “traditional bridge” that involves two crowns that are placed on two adjacent teeth and are then attached to an artificial tooth (pontic). This creates a “bridge” that fills the gap created by one or more missing teeth.
4 Reasons to Choose a Dental Bridge
You and the Troy family dentist may decide on a fixed bridge for any of the following reasons:
- Fill space of missing teeth.
- Prevent drifting of remaining teeth
- Restore ability to chew and/or speak clearly
- Upgrade from a removable partial denture
Placement of a fixed bridge will generally require two or more visits. The two anchoring teeth will be prepared by removing a portion of enamel, allowing room for a crown. Your Troy family dentist will then take an impression of your teeth. This mold is sent to a dental lab where a custom-fit bridge will be created specifically to fit your teeth and accommodate your bite. You will leave your first appointment with a temporary bridge created by your dentist.
Your second appointment takes place once the permanent bridge has been created. At this point, it will be carefully checked and adjusted to make sure it fits properly. The bridge is then permanently cemented.
At the conclusion of this visit, you receive instructions on how to properly care for your new permanent bridge. The life of your new bridge will be extended greatly by following proper brushing and flossing techniques and scheduling regular dental visits.
Please Call Us for An Appointment
If you would like to see if a dental bridge is right for you, please call our office to arrange a convenient appointment.
The holidays are upon us, and many of us are preparing to celebrate with family gatherings that include all our favorite seasonal foods. But with all the excitement, it’s easy to forget that these foods can have on your teeth. Your Troy family dentist wants you to enjoy the holidays in a way that doesn’t compromise your oral health. Here are 4 delicious holiday foods that can also be bad for your dental health.
- Popcorn – Popcorn is a holiday favorite, but at this time of year it’s often drenched with caramel for a sweet, satisfying treat. Unfortunately, the hard kernels can crack or break a tooth, and they also get stuck between your teeth which can lead to bacterial growth and other complications. If you want to indulge, rinse your mouth and floss as soon as possible.
- Deeply-colored foods – Some deeply-colored foods can be very healthy, like beets or curry. But the downside is that these types of foods can quickly stain your teeth. Remember to immediately rinse your mouth with warm water or a mouthwash after you consume these foods during your holiday feast.
- Carbonated sugary drinks – Consumption of carbonated drinks has increased dramatically, but the sugar in these drinks linger in your mouth and form acid that eats away at dental enamel and leads to decay. Try substituting with water or water-infused fruit juice to quench your thirst and keep your teeth healthy
- Tomato products (ketchup, hot sauce, pasta sauce) – The acidity level of tomato products can soften the enamel of your teeth, resulting in increased tooth sensitivity or tooth decay. Dental enamel is also prone to stains due to the dark color of tomato sauces. Adding water to the sauce can help decrease acidity levels.
Please Call for More Information
Your Troy family dentist is committed to providing you with all the information you need to keep your smile healthy. Please don’t hesitate to call us to learn more!
- Tooth Decay – What It Is, How It Starts, and How You Can Prevent It by the Troy, OH Family Dentist
- The Troy, OH Family Dentistry Describes What Happens During a Dental Exam and Cleaning
- Take Control of Your Dental Anxiety with Sedation Dentistry in Troy, OH
- The Troy Cosmetic Dentist Discusses Teeth Whitening
- 4 Reasons Why A Dental Bridge is a Good Choice Shared by the Troy Family Dentist
- Avoid These 4 Foods to Keep Your Smile Healthy During the Holidays
- What’s the Secret to Excellent Oral Health? The Troy, OH Dentist Talks About the Importance of Family Dentistry
- The Troy Cosmetic Dentist Explains a Conservative Smile Makeover Option
- The Troy, OH Family Dentist Explains How to Achieve Oral Health through Prevention
- Would You Like to Change Your Smile? Laser Gum Contouring by the Troy Cosmetic Dentist May Be the Answer!
$1 Welcome Exam or Half Price Teeth Whitening
How it works, how much it costs, and much more...
About Our Dentists
Our dentists are highly skilled and educated. They pursue continuing education with some of the leading dental clinicians in the world to enable them to provide exceptional care.