Left untreated, dental infections and periodontal disease will not only affect the appearance of your smile but can destroy your oral health. Neglecting routine at-home oral and professional care places you at higher risk for these conditions, and when you do try to “catch up” you may face complications that require complex dental work to restore the health and function of your smile.
Make Dental Care a Priority
Troy family dentist Dr. Mark Bentley teaches his patients that prevention is the key to maintaining a beautiful, healthy smile. By making your dental care a priority, you can save you the future cost and embarrassment of dental disease.
One of our goals is to educate you about the best ways to avoid cavities and gum disease. Even the most consistent routine of brushing and flossing alone is not enough to maintain a healthy smile. Practicing good at-home oral hygiene is vital, but it must be paired with professional dental cleanings to be the most effective.
As we eat, drink, and speak a sticky bacterial film called plaque coats tooth enamel and oral tissue. Flossing and brushing help to remove some plaque build-up but cannot remove all of it. The plaque that is not removed hardens into a substance called tartar. Tartar builds up on teeth, causing dental decay, gum disease, and eventually tooth loss unless it is removed through regular professional cleanings.
Be Proactive with Oral Health Care
You can take control of your dental health by:
- Maintaining a proactive at-home cleaning schedule (to reduce daily plaque build-up)
- Seeing your dentist for semi-annual professional cleanings (to remove tartar and give you a “clean slate” for brushing and flossing).
Please Call for an Appointment
It is never too late to get back on track with your dental health routine. Start by scheduling a visit with the Troy family dentist for
Laser gum contouring is becoming more popular among patients who have an uneven gum line or gummy smile. The procedure allows dentists to reshape the gum line to produce a more pleasing aesthetic.
Today, the Troy cosmetic dentist performs an increasing number of laser gum contouring treatments. The use of laser technology has made it easier to contour gum tissue with reduced risks and fewer side effects. In this blog, we’ll explain how laser gum contouring can be performed to improve the appearance of the smile.
What does the procedure involve?
Laser gum contouring involves the removal of a small amount of soft gum tissue to produce a uniform gum line or minimize the amount of gum tissue that shows when a patient smiles. To start the procedure, we’ll administer a local anesthetic to numb the gum tissue and prevent any discomfort during the treatment process.
Once you’re completely numb, the Troy cosmetic dentist will use a dental laser to sculpt the gum line and create an attractive contour; this may involve the removal of gum tissue across the entire upper gum
The entire process takes less than an hour. Once the gums have been reshaped to the desired aesthetic, the patient can return home.
How long does it take to recover?
The laser gum contouring procedure results in minimal side effects. Still, you may experience minor discomfort during the healing period. To reduce any pain, avoid spicy foods, foods
You should continue to brush and floss their teeth in the days after treatment. However, during the first few days after treatment, it is important to be as gentle as possible. Laser dentistry offers many benefits, including a minimal recovery time and few side effects.
Other benefits are:
- Less pain during and after treatment
Reduceddegree of bleeding and swelling
- Less chance of infection
- Improved and even gum line
- The gum line is more proportionate to the teeth
- The ideal amount of gum tissue shows when you smile, laugh, or speak
The laser gum contouring procedure is commonly performed in combination with other dental procedures. Porcelain veneers may be applied to the front surface of the teeth to make them appear straighter, lengthen short teeth, or mask stains. Teeth whitening may be performed to make the teeth whiter. By choosing additional treatments, patients can achieve a total smile makeover.
If you’re thinking about a laser gum contouring procedure, contact cosmetic dentist Dr. Mark Bentley office to arrange a convenient consultation.
- Tooth Decay – What It Is, How It Starts, and How You Can Prevent It by the Troy, OH Family Dentist
- The Troy, OH Family Dentistry Describes What Happens During a Dental Exam and Cleaning
- Take Control of Your Dental Anxiety with Sedation Dentistry in Troy, OH
- The Troy Cosmetic Dentist Discusses Teeth Whitening
- 4 Reasons Why A Dental Bridge is a Good Choice Shared by the Troy Family Dentist
- Avoid These 4 Foods to Keep Your Smile Healthy During the Holidays
- What’s the Secret to Excellent Oral Health? The Troy, OH Dentist Talks About the Importance of Family Dentistry
- The Troy Cosmetic Dentist Explains a Conservative Smile Makeover Option
- The Troy, OH Family Dentist Explains How to Achieve Oral Health through Prevention
- Would You Like to Change Your Smile? Laser Gum Contouring by the Troy Cosmetic Dentist May Be the Answer!
$1 Welcome Exam or Half Price Teeth Whitening
How it works, how much it costs, and much more...
About Our Dentists
Our dentists are highly skilled and educated. They pursue continuing education with some of the leading dental clinicians in the world to enable them to provide exceptional care.