Summer is just a few weeks away, and kids everywhere are already looking forward to an activity-filled vacation. You want them to have fun, but you also need to make sure their teeth are protected.
That’s where a custom-fitted mouth guard made by your Troy, OH family dentist comes in. Protective gear for your child’s mouth is just as essential if not more so than knee pads and elbow pads.
Custom-Fit Mouth Guards for Your Child
Research shows that of all the dental injuries that occur each year, nearly 40 percent are sports-related. As you might guess, the most common affect the front teeth. These injuries ranged from a chipped tooth to a knocked-out tooth.
You can find lots of generic boil-and-bite mouth guards at your sporting goods store. But the fullest protection comes when your child wears a sports guard that's made for their unique smile. At Excellence in Dentistry, our dentist uses impressions of your child’s teeth to create a mouth guard that offers several advantages compared to the generic versions:
- A higher level of protection – A custom mouth guard fits well, stays in place, and provides increased protection from impact-related injuries.
- More comfortable - Your child is more likely to wear the mouth guard if it fits comfortably and feels natural in their mouth.
- Peace of mind - You will have peace of mind that you’ve done everything possible to protect their smile from injury.
A customized mouth guard that fits well, feels
Do you brush and floss routinely, avoid sugary foods and drinks, and see your dentist for scheduled appointments but still get cavities? Do you have friends who don’t follow healthy oral habits and don’t deal with tooth decay and wonder if there’s any fairness left in the world?
Your Troy, OH family dentist understands your frustration! How is it possible to take care of your teeth and still get cavities? It turns out that your genes may be responsible.
It’s Not Just about Bacteria
Keeping your mouth free of harmful bacteria is essential if you want a healthy smile, but another significant factor is the resistance of your teeth. A study conducted by two researchers from the University of Zurich shows a definite condition between defects in the gene complex that’s responsible for the formation of tooth enamel and the rate of caries (cavities).
What This News Means for You
There’s a lot more study that needs to be conducted in this area to understand how these findings can change the way we approach oral health care. But whether or not your genetic makeup puts you at higher risk for tooth decay, there are always steps you can take:
- Make sure your oral hygiene’s up to par – Brushing and flossing for decades does not make you an expert, and if you aren’t doing it properly, you may not be getting the benefit of your efforts. Talk to your hygienist to “brush up” on your oral hygiene for the best results.
- Keep up with routine dental appointments – Prevention is the key to enjoying good oral health, making semi-annual exams and cleanings with your family dentist crucial. Decide if you’d rather take a couple of hours out of your week now or wait until you need costly and complex treatment!
- Pay attention to what you eat and drink – Certain foods, especially those high in sugar and acid, are very damaging and weaken dental enamel which can lead to cavities.
Please Call to Arrange an Appointment
Your family dentist can offer you many helpful tips for keeping your smile healthy, regardless of genetics. If you would like to learn more, please call the Troy, OH family dentist to arrange a convenient appointment.
- The Troy, OH Family Dentist Offers Custom Mouth Guards to Protect Your Child’s Teeth
- The Troy, OH Family Dentist Explains How Genetics May Put You at Higher Risk for Cavities
- The Troy Sedation Dentist Explains How Sedation Dentistry Can Improve Your Oral Health
- 3 Reasons You Should Consider Invisalign Clear Braces by the Troy, OH Cosmetic Dentist
- 3 Drinks to Avoid If You Want a Bright Smile! Shared by Troy Cosmetic Dentist
- How to Protect Your Oral Health While You’re Pregnant Explained by the Troy Family Dentist
- Tooth Decay – What It Is, How It Starts, and How You Can Prevent It by the Troy, OH Family Dentist
- The Troy, OH Family Dentistry Describes What Happens During a Dental Exam and Cleaning
- Take Control of Your Dental Anxiety with Sedation Dentistry in Troy, OH
- The Troy Cosmetic Dentist Discusses Teeth Whitening
$1 Welcome Exam or Half Price Teeth Whitening
How it works, how much it costs, and much more...
About Our Dentists
Our dentists are highly skilled and educated. They pursue continuing education with some of the leading dental clinicians in the world to enable them to provide exceptional care.