If you suffer from an overwhelming fear of dentists and dental procedures, you know how easy it is to miss regular appointments. Dental anxiety is a very common problem and affects millions of patients. Unfortunately postponing dental treatment almost always results in the need for invasive and costly treatment in the future.
Obviously, your comfort and well-being are of great importance to the Troy, OH sedation dentist. Our goal is to support your oral health by providing painless and efficient treatments. We use state-of-the-art technology and minimally invasive procedures that reduce your time in the chair and increase your discomfort.
But these factors alone may not give you the peace of mind you’re looking for when visiting your sedation dentist.
So what can you do to help alleviate this anxiety?
Feeling a loss of being in control contributes to dental phobia. Here are three practical tips to help you feel more in control during your dental appointments and hopefully reduce your stress level.
- Communicate with your dentist – You may find it embarrassing to admit your fear, but your dentist needs to be aware of your anxiety to take the necessary precautions during treatment.
- Agree on a signal – Patients are often afraid that their dentist won’t know when and if they are experiencing pain or anxiety, and this contributes to their fear. Agree to a signal with your dentist beforehand. A simple “stop” hand signal can be used to alert your dentist to your discomfort immediately.
- Ask about sedation – Sedation offers an excellent solution for many patients who would not otherwise be able to endure the treatment. Discuss the different types of sedation options available with your dentist before the appointment, so you know what to expect beforehand.
The best way to combat dental phobia, however, is to gather information beforehand. Your Troy, OH sedation dentist is always available for a consultation to discuss procedures and treatments to help you understand what your appointment will involve. Please call our office to learn more anxiety-reducing tips!
If you lose a tooth that shows when you smile, you wouldn’t hesitate to look for a solution. It’s all about aesthetics and maybe even the funny whistling sound you make when you speak, so there’s no choice.
But if you lose a molar that’s far back in your mouth, you might be tempted to let it go. No one can see the gap, and you’ve got plenty of good teeth left to chew with, right?
3 Reasons to Replace Missing Teeth
The final decision to replace a missing tooth is up to you, of course. But in either case, your dental implants dentist in Troy, OH would tell you that replacing the tooth is essential to maintain your oral health.
If we don’t replace the missing tooth soon after it’s lost, several things will happen.
Jaw Bone Deterioration
When your tooth root is intact, it sends a message to surrounding bone and tissue to keep regenerating, which keeps your jaw bone healthy and strong.
As soon as you lose a tooth, however, the bone in the area starts to resorb or shrink and deteriorate. This weakens the jawbone, and as the bone breaks down, can even lead to further tooth loss.
Potential TMJ Problems
Each tooth has a job to do, and when you lose one, a couple of things start to happen. First, neighboring teeth can start to tilt into the open space and cause misalignment. Your teeth may not fit together correctly when you bite down, which can cause pain and put stress can lead to problems with your temporomandibular joint (TMJ).
Your jawbone and your teeth help fill out your face, which gives you a naturally youthful appearance. Losing a tooth eliminates some of that support, and as the bone in your jaw starts to break down, your face starts to take on a sunken or aged appearance.
Talk to Us about Dental Implants
You have a choice of tooth replacements, including dental implants, bridges, and full or partial dentures. While none of these are exactly like a natural tooth, dental implants in Troy, OH
If you would like to learn more about dental implants, please call Excellence in Dentistry to arrange an appointment.
- 3 Ways to Defeat Dental Anxiety Shared by the Novato, CA Sedation Dentist
- The Dental Implants Dentist in Troy, OH Shares 3 Reasons You Need to Replace Missing Teeth
- The Troy, OH Family Dentist Offers Custom Mouth Guards to Protect Your Child’s Teeth
- The Troy, OH Family Dentist Explains How Genetics May Put You at Higher Risk for Cavities
- The Troy Sedation Dentist Explains How Sedation Dentistry Can Improve Your Oral Health
- 3 Reasons You Should Consider Invisalign Clear Braces by the Troy, OH Cosmetic Dentist
- 3 Drinks to Avoid If You Want a Bright Smile! Shared by Troy Cosmetic Dentist
- How to Protect Your Oral Health While You’re Pregnant Explained by the Troy Family Dentist
- Tooth Decay – What It Is, How It Starts, and How You Can Prevent It by the Troy, OH Family Dentist
- The Troy, OH Family Dentistry Describes What Happens During a Dental Exam and Cleaning
$1 Welcome Exam or Half Price Teeth Whitening
How it works, how much it costs, and much more...
About Our Dentists
Our dentists are highly skilled and educated. They pursue continuing education with some of the leading dental clinicians in the world to enable them to provide exceptional care.