The decisions you make about your child’s oral health now will have long-lasting effects. The team at Troy Pediatric dentist office is here to help you make sound decisions to ensure your child has a lifetime of happy and healthy smiles.
We’ll provide you with all the important information you need to make sure your child’s teeth start out healthy and stay that way. One important thing to know is that your child’s primary teeth are vital to healthy dental development. Here are a few important things to keep in mind.
Why Baby Teeth are Important
We know that your child’s baby teeth will naturally fall out when their permanent teeth are ready to emerge, usually in early adolescence. However, losing a tooth too early can dramatically change their oral health:
- Act as placeholders for permanent teeth. Losing a tooth prematurely can compromise primary teeth that end up being crowded and crooked
- Allow your child to enjoy the foods they need to stay healthy
- Help your child speak normally
- Give your child the chance to develop healthy oral hygiene habits before their permanent teeth come in
Steps you can Take at Home
Here are a few simple steps you can follow to help your children maintain their primary teeth:
- Show them how to brush and floss their teeth every morning and night
- Make appointments with the dentist for cleanings at least twice a year
- Make sure that they wear protective mouth gear when they participate in athletic activities that may damage their smiles
- Don’t let them fall asleep with a bottle in their mouth
When you help your children build healthy dental habits when they’re very young, you are giving them a strong foundation for a lifetime of dental health. Our Troy pediatric dentist office provides the dental services that all children need—so feel free to give us a call and schedule an appointment for your family.