The team at our pediatric dentist in Troy, Ohio, is here to provide you with all the important information you need to make sure your child's teeth start out healthy and stay that way. Your child's primary teeth are vital to healthy dental development, and need to be protected carefully.
How Baby Teeth Help Your Child
Of course, baby teeth will naturally fall out when their permanent teeth are ready to emerge, usually in early adolescence. But kids need to keep their healthy baby teeth as long as possible because they:
- Help your child develop normal speaking patterns
- Allow your child to enjoy the foods they need to stay health
- Act as place holders for permanent teeth. Losing a tooth prematurely can compromise primary teeth that end up being crowded and crooked
- Give your child the chance to develop healthy oral hygiene habits before their permanent teeth come in
Here are a few simple steps you can follow to help your children maintain their primary teeth:
- Show them how to brush and floss their teeth every morning and night
- Make appointments with the dentist for cleanings at least twice a year
- Make sure that they wear protective mouth gear when they engage in athletic activities that may damage their smiles
- Don't let them fall asleep with a bottle in their mouth
When you help your children build healthy dental habits when they're very young, you are giving them a strong foundations for a lifetime of dental health. Our Troy pediatric dentist office provides the dental services that all children need—so feel free to give us a call and schedule an appointment for your family.