If you suffer from an overwhelming fear of dentists and dental procedures, you know how easy it is to miss regular appointments. Dental anxiety is a very common problem and affects millions of patients. Unfortunately postponing dental treatment almost always results in the need for invasive and costly treatment in the future.
Obviously, your comfort and well-being are of great importance to the Troy, OH sedation dentist. Our goal is to support your oral health by providing painless and efficient treatments. We use state-of-the-art technology and minimally invasive procedures that reduce your time in the chair and increase your discomfort.
But these factors alone may not give you the peace of mind you’re looking for when visiting your dentist. So what can you do to help alleviate this anxiety? Feeling a loss of being in control contributes to dental phobia. Here are three practical tips to help you feel more in control during your dental appointments and hopefully reduce your stress level.
- Talk to your dentist– You may find it embarrassing to talk about your fear, but your dentist needs to be aware of your anxiety to take the necessary precautions during treatment.
- Agree on a signal – Patients are often afraid that their dentist won’t know when and if they are experiencing pain or anxiety, and this contributes to their fear. Agree to a signal with your dentist beforehand. A simple “stop” hand signal can be used to alert your dentist to your discomfort immediately.
- Ask about sedation– Sedation offers an excellent solution for many patients who would not otherwise be able to endure the treatment. Discuss the different types of sedation options available with your dentist before the appointment, so you know what to expect beforehand.
The best way to combat dental phobia, however, is to gather information beforehand. Your Troy, OH sedation dentist is always available for a consultation to discuss procedures and treatments to help you understand what your appointment will involve.
Please call our office to learn more anxiety-reducing tips!
We all have good intentions when we make our New Year's resolutions, but carrying through with them is another matter entirely. But in some cases, as in your oral health, turning over a new leaf has enormous benefits, and it’s these resolutions you want to try hard to keep.
The Troy, OH family dentist wants you to enjoy the healthiest possible smile, so we are sharing a few resolutions you can make that benefit your oral health.
Schedule a Dental Appointment: If you haven’t seen a dentist in a while, don’t feel like you’re alone! The American Dental Association (ADA) says that about a third of people in the US don’t keep routine appointments.
So even if your teeth look and feel okay, set a reminder on your phone or calendar for January 2 and make your appointment. Most dentists send out reminder cards a week prior or call a day before your appointment; check that yours does.
Commit to Flossing: Brushing your teeth twice a day isn't enough to keep plaque from building up on your teeth, or to completely remove bits of food from your mouth. To take the best care of your teeth, you need to floss too. If you're not in the habit of flossing, the new year is a great time to start.
If your flossing skills have gotten rusty, ask your hygienist to show you the proper steps so you can be sure you are getting the most out of your efforts.
Reduce Your Sugar Intake: Everyone knows that sugar is bad for your teeth, and cutting back can significantly reduce your risk of tooth decay. You should reduce the number of sugary treats you buy, and make simple swaps like drink sugar-free seltzer water instead of soda, or chew a piece of sugar-free gum if you have a sweet craving.
Choose Mouth-Healthy Foods: Resolve to add foods to your diet that support good oral health. Dairy products, which are high in calcium, are great for your teeth, as are fibrous foods that can stimulate saliva flow and scrub away plaque and other food bits.
Call Us for Helpful Advice!
We applaud your efforts for a healthier smile and will support you in every way possible. If you have questions, please don’t hesitate to call the Troy, OH family dentist to arrange an appointment!
One of the most amazing innovations in modern dentistry is dental implants. It is estimated that over three million people have had their lives changed by dental implants. Dental implants have a proven success rate of 98%, which is why they are the gold standard for tooth replacement today.
But many people still don't have a full understanding of implants and what they can do, so here are a few helpful things to know about this innovative tooth replacement:
Dental implants are actually made up of three parts. First, the implant itself, which is a replacement root made up of a tiny titanium post that’s surgically placed into your jawbone and allowed to heal. After the site has healed, our Troy, OH dentist will attach a piece to the implant called the abutment. Finally, a restoration like a crown, bridge, or denture will be attached to restore function and esthetics.
Dental implants are permanent. A dental implant is like a natural tooth root, but better. The implant itself becomes a permanent part of your anatomy because the titanium post is absorbed by the jawbone and tissue in a process called osseointegration. While the restoration may need to be replaced at some point, the implant’s not going anywhere!
Dental implants can be used to stabilize dentures. The most common complaint among denture wearers is the embarrassment and discomfort caused by slipping and movement. Dental implants are the perfect solution because they hold the denture securely in place. The Troy, OH dentist places implants at certain points along the jaw, and a denture with corresponding attachments snaps onto the implant. The result is a permanent solution for uncomfortable dentures!
Call Us to Learn More
Would you like to learn more about dental implants and the ways they can improve your oral health AND your life? Please call our office, and we will be happy to arrange a dental implants consultation with our dentist, Dr. Mark Bentley.
- Troy, OH Sedation Dentist Explains 3 Ways You Can Overcome Your Dental Anxiety
- Resolve to Have a Healthier Smile in 2018! The Troy, OH Family Dentist Shares 5 Ways to Enjoy Better Oral Health in the New Year
- Considering Dental Implants? The Troy, OH Dentist Shares 3 Things You Need to Know before You Decide
- Protect Your Teeth during the Holidays – The Troy, OH Family Dentist Shares 4 Foods to Avoid
- What Does Gum Health Have to Do with Dentures? The Troy, OH Family Dentist Explains the Relationship
- Not Just a Beautiful Smile - Troy Cosmetic Dentist Explains Health Benefits of Orthodontics
- Can Nitrous Oxide Help During Your Next Dental Visit? The Troy Sedation Dentist Explains the Benefits
- Troy, OH Family Dentist Stresses the Need for Routine Oral Cancer Screenings
- Troy, OH Sedation Dentist Provides Stress-Free Treatment. Find out How!
- Veneers or Bonding? The Troy, OH Cosmetic Dentist Reviews Both
$1 Welcome Exam or Half Price Teeth Whitening
How it works, how much it costs, and much more...
About Our Dentists
Our dentists are highly skilled and educated. They pursue continuing education with some of the leading dental clinicians in the world to enable them to provide exceptional care.